Sunday, December 11, 2016

Saltwater Kayak Fishing

Last year at On The Water magazine’s 2015 StriperFest, Cynthia put in the winning bid on a Kayak at the silent auction.  This was the beginning of our household’s kayak fever.  We both have kayaked before and we own three canoes so we’re not exactly strangers to paddlesports.  I used the canoes over the years for fishing. 

That fall we put our boats in a couple of times, Cynthia in the kayak and me solo in a canoe, but the canoe was so much slower that it was difficult find the right pace for both of us.  It was now clear that I too would need a kayak so we could explore Cape Cod’s waterways together.  This also got me thinking about kayak fishing. I definitely  wouldn’t be borrowing my wife’s boat for fishing.  I wanted something a little more manly than a hot pink kayak labeled “Venus II”! 

Cynthia And Her Kayak

Popponesset Bay

Harbor Seal at Seal Rocks in Buzzard's Bay


We purchased a small inexpensive sit-in type kayak.  I wanted something ultralight for car topping when we aren’t kayaking together.  I have to say I got a lot of use out of that kayak.  I used it to fish some of the places that I visited in the past with my canoe.  One is a harbor in Buzzards  Bay where I target Black Sea Bass, Fluke and Scup.  The other is a southside bay that’s good for Striped Bass and Bluefish.   My first season of kayak fishing exceeded all expectations and I can’t wait to get back to it in the Spring and try out some different spots.

A Keeper!

Black Sea Bass And Scup

Northern Kingfish

Some Big Scup and a 22inch Fluke




No comments:

Post a Comment