Friday, December 9, 2016

January - March 2015 New England Ice Fishing

The extremely cold weather during the winter of 2015 set the scene for a great ice fishing season.  Plus, a new electric ice auger made it much easier to enjoy family winter fishing.  My wife Cynthia enjoyed the local fishing.  In January I took my daughter Alyssa and her boyfriend Tim to to Jackman, Maine.  We stayed at Sally Mountain Cabins on Big Wood Lake.  We rented a cozy wood stove heated fishing shack for two days. Didn't catch a whole lot of fish but it was still fun.

I caught more fish in the local ponds of Cape Cod.  It's very unusual for the ponds around here to stay frozen throughout the entire winter.  Three small ponds on the Upper Cape consistently produced trout, Grews Pond, Hoxie Pond and Pimlico Pond.  Had one crazy day on Ashumet Pond when I caught over 70 yellow perch in one afternoon!

Lack of ice locally prevented me from doing any ice fishing during the Winter 2016 season.  I'm hoping for the return of the Polar Vortex to freeze up the pond this coming winter.

List of species caught through the ice in 2015 - 1. Rainbow Trout, 2. Brown Trout, 3. Brook Trout, 4. Chain Pickerel, 5. Yellow Perch, 6. Fallfish, 7. Largemouth Bass, 8. Black Crappie, 9. Bluegill Sunfish.











No comments:

Post a Comment