Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Ice Fishing On Lake Winnipesaukee



Had a pretty good day on the ice this week at Lake Winnipesaukee in Moultonborough, New Hampshire.  Managed to catch a nineteen inch Lake Trout and several Yellow Perch.



I arrived at AJ’s Bait and Tackle in Meredith at 9am Monday morning.  Purchased a dozen large smelt and a dozen shiners,  The guy at the shop recommended two spots with easy access, Levitt Park in Meredith and Long Island in Moultonborough.  I decided to try Levitt Park because it was the closest of the two.  The scenery was great but not the fishing. I got skunked.  


The next day I decided to give Long Island a try. There was open water nearby which could lead to more oxygen being available to the fish.  This spot looked promising. The ice was safe, at least eight inches thick.  After a few hours of no luck in the deeper area, I moved to a spot where the water was only 10 feet deep.  Almost immediately the tip-up flag went up and I soon landed a nineteen inch Lake Trout.  Over the next hour more flags popped up as schools of Yellow Perch moved through.  All the hits were on large smelt.  Nothing would touch the shiners.  


The Lake Trout is on my New Year’s Resolution Species Wish List.  I can check that one off.  












No comments:

Post a Comment