Monday, March 13, 2017

Spring Trout Stocking Has Begun

According to the Trout Stocking Report, several local ponds in Falmouth were stocked on March 7th with Brook Trout.  Friday morning on March 10th I decided to try my luck at one of those ponds.  The weather forecast predicted very cold temperatures over the weekend that might cause a new layer of ice to form on the smaller ponds.  It was snowing pretty hard so I decided to fish at Grew’s Pond in Goodwill Park.  This park has very good public access.  


Made a few casts with a gold Little Cleo spoon.  Spoons are a good choice when trying for recently stocked trout.  Next I used half of a night crawler below a weighted sliding bobber.  Also a good method for new stockies.  Didn’t catch the Brook Trout I was hoping for, but before too long I landed two nice plump Rainbow Trout.  Not a bad way to start the Spring open freshwater fishing season.





No comments:

Post a Comment